Friday, October 22, 2010

The "Scrappy Golfer" debate makes it to the 'Corner


An ongoing debate on “From the Cheap Seats”, my weekly radio show, has perked my angst, and I would like to share it with you. Hopefully, you will leave your take on this very imperative issue.



Can a golfer be described as “scrappy”?

A while back I was doing a “Did you know?” segment on the Iowa men’s golf team. One of my did-you-knows was that senior golfer Vince India is listed at 5-11, 140 lbs.

I said “he’s a scrappy little golfer.”

Two of my co-hosts, clearly unaware of my limitless intellect and humility, babble “ what are you talking about, a golfer can’t be scrappy!”

“Why not? He small and light; he’s scrappy!”

My reasoning being that little Vince India may not have the natural physical skills to drive the ball five miles, but he gets it done with technique and “scrappyness”.

Dictionary.com defines scrappy as “made up of scraps or of odds and ends; fragmentary; disconnected. “

That’s not the definition I’m looking for.

Definition #2 goes, “fond of fighting, arguing, or competing.”

Boom- there it is. Clear proof that a golfer can be “scrappy.”

Merriam-Webster.com: “having an aggressive and determined spirit”


I think I’ve made my case.

Maybe Vince India isn’t, in all reality, “scrappy golfer”, but to say that no golfer in the history of the game has ever been, nor ever will be, scrappy, is clearly wrong.

Does Tiger Woods not have a determined spirit? Was Jack Nicklaus not fond of competing?


The defense rests.


(Please share your thought on this very important “scrappy golfer” debate, and help me once again prove how much smarter I am than my co-hosts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment